Monday 9 January 2012

Mid-Point Evaluation - Book Cover

IDE Mid-Point Evaluation
Sam Johnson
Book Cover Design

THE TALE:
Red Riding Hood by the Brothers Grimm / ‘Petit Chaperon Rouge'

I was due to shoot a model (sourced off a model website) before Christmas but the shoot was cancelled. It has since been re arranged for the 14th January. Hopefully as it’s an outside shoot the weather will hold off and I can get the shot underneath the railway bridge that I am looking for.
I have also sourced a women’s trench coat for the shoot and have got hold of a black leather briefcase which I shall use for the back of the book image of the wolf’s head placed in the case. I did initially decide to shot the image of the briefcase with the wolf’s head inside in the studio however I have now decided not to. The reason being I want the overall feel and concept of the front cover to marry perfectly with the whole dust jacket. I have decided that the image on the back may be a little too jarring and subsequently change the 40’s espionage tone I am aiming to achieve with the front cover. My idea for the shot now is to have the model hold the case open revealing the head inside shot on the same background as the front cover image (i.e. near to the railway bridge).

I have taken some test shots of the location from different angles so I know how to position my model on the day of the shoot. I have also edited the images using light room and Photoshop playing around with ramping up the shadows and contrast with layers and converting to black and white. I will also use subtle selective colouring on the models red gloves and red hair on the final image.

I aim to have both the front and back cover images finished for the end of January when I will spend the remaining time editing them and making sure they fit the size format of book I have gone for. The total size including both front and back flap will be 62.5 cm x 24.2cm. This will fit perfectly round my chosen book. I will shoot both portrait and landscape on the day and decide in post-production which looks the most effective.

Zoetrope:

Unfortunately I was unable to attend the Zoetrope photo session in the studio but I have come to the conclusion that I shall shoot my own images and create a digital Zoetrope. Partly inspired by the Olympus pen video shown in class, my idea is to shoot a number of images (20-30) of movement and then layer them on top of other images I would have shot previously of an advertising boarding. The idea is to create movement on the advertising boarding so it looks like its alive. I will achieve this using Photoshop layering and creating a GIF file.

No comments:

Post a Comment